BoardLead Program Qualifications
How it Works:
- The first step is completing our intake form. This allows us to collect some initial information about your organization and your board service needs and expectations.
- A member of the BoardLead team will then carefully review the information you submit and let you know if your organization is a good fit for the program.
- By joining our network, you will also have access to a suite of resources and trainings on topics like fundraising, good governance, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- If you are then selected to advance, we will ask your organization to complete a full application. The additional detail you provide in the full application helps us ensure that we make the best possible match between a candidate and nonprofit organization.
- We will provide more information on timing throughout this process, but if you are matched with a candidate, our expectation is that:
- You will meet with the candidate to determine if there is mutual interest in moving forward, and;
- If so, you will vet and hold a vote on whether to elect the candidate to your board within a four-month timeframe.
All professionals introduced to your organization through this program will demonstrate a personal commitment to the mission, be prepared to meet board member responsibilities and expectations, receive good governance training at the outset of their service and throughout their first year, and have access to one-on-one support from board experts to troubleshoot early challenges. It is our hope that these board members will demonstrate high levels of engagement and will – over time – become leaders on the boards they serve. While we strive to connect each organization that completes a full application with a board candidate, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that all nonprofits will ultimately be matched.
Please note, the information you provide through this survey may be made available to potential board candidates, though it will not be shared publicly.
We are excited to learn more about your work! Before you begin, please confirm that your organization meets the minimum requirements for participation in this program.
- 501(c)3 status
- Seeking candidates for the governing board (usually referred to as the “Board of Directors”) with fiduciary oversight responsibilities.
- Board has a minimum of five (5) board members currently serving.
- Bylaws permit new board members to be vetted and elected in a 3-4 month time frame.
- Bylaws include an indemnification clause for board members.
- Organization carries an active Directors and Officers insurance policy.
- Giving and fundraising expectations for board members comply with the following:
“Giving” expectation does not exceed $5,000
“Give/Get” expectation does not exceed $15,000
Additional Characteristics Desired:
While the additional criteria listed below are not required, they are characteristics of organizations that tend to be strong fits for BoardLead.
- Annual budget is at least $250,000.
- Board size is between 8-30 directors.
- Board has a well-functioning committee structure in place and demonstrates effective governance practices.
- Organization has stable leadership with no chief executive turnover anticipated in the upcoming year.
- Organization has a demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Organization’s life cycle has evolved beyond a proof-of-concept or start-up phase.
If you have questions about these requirements, please contact Nate Hinchey at email@example.com.